In December of 1983, Archbishop Daniel Pilarczyk announced that a new parish would be formed in northeast Cincinnati. Early on, the St Margaret of York parish wanted to meet the educational needs of its families and established the first Catholic grade school in the diocese in twenty five years. From its humble beginnings as a single kindergarten in rented space to the Education Center’s dedication in 1992, St. Margaret of York School today is home to more than 700 students from ten school districts and 14 zip codes.
In 1983 Archbishop Pilarczyk announced that a new parish would be formed in Northeast Cincinnati. From its beginning, the parish wanted to meet the educational needs of its youth.
In 1984, the parish of Saint Margaret of York was founded and the first mass held at Kings Middle School
September 3, 1985 – the school’s first class of kindergarteners started at Saint Margaret of York School. Classes were held in the basement of the rectory.
In 1987 – Ground Breaking ceremonies were held to build the first Church building (currently our gymnasium.)
1988 – 450 families are registered at SMOY
1991 – 700 Families in the parish
1992 – Saint Margaret of York Education Center opened.
1994 – 8 Room addition added to the School, 1000 families present in parish
From the early 1990’s to now we continue to grow in number and faith!!
2012 - 2013, it was decided to begin a one to one tablet program for students in grades 6-8.
During the first month of the 2013-14 school year, we have installed 25 new SMARTboards, made our campus wireless and implemented the 1 to 1 tablet program for grades 6, 7, and 8.
2014 – We have 1800 families, 710 students and 50 staff members.
2014 – Awarded the National Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence by the United States Department of Education.The National Blue Ribbon Schools award honors public and private elementary, middle, and high schools where students perform at very high levels or where significant improvements are being made in students’ levels of achievement.